Tuesday, December 18, 2018

C170. Brer Bear and the Rock

4: How Brother Rabbit Saved Brother B'ar's Life. Text Source: Uncle Remus and the Little Boy by Joel Chandler Harris. Online at Hathi Trust. I have removed the frame material and standardized the spelling; click here for notes to the story.


I don't know if it was Brer Brar or Brer Fox, but we'll say that it was old Brer Bear, and let it go at that. In one way and another, Brer Rabbit was all the time a-pestering the other critters, pulling their tails and running off, or making jokes about them, or playing pranks on them.


If you been following me along this far, you know that some of the pranks that old Brer Rabbit played on the critters got them in deep trouble. Old Brer Bear ain't got no tail for to be pulled, but he had feelings for to be hurted. I don't know what Brer Rabbit done to him at this inticular time, but he done something, and I expect it was a-plenty. Anyhow, Brer Bear got right behind Brer Rabbit, and he pushed him so close, that before Brer Rabbit can get in a holler-tree, Brer Bear catched him by the behind leg and held him.


He try for to pull him out, but Brer Rabbit kind of brace hisself against the inside, and there he was. He stick his head as far up the hollow as he can and then he laugh and say, says he, "You think you got me, don't you, Brer Bear? Well, you ain't! That what you are pullin' an' tuggin' at ain't nothin' but a last year's sprout growin' out of the ground here. If you think it's my behind leg, just get a rock an' hit, an' hit, an' you'll see that I won't flinch."

Brer Bear looked 'round for to find a rock, but there weren't none right at hand, and so he went off for to get one. Time he come back, he say, says he, "Where the sprout, Brer Rabbit?"

Brer Rabbit, he respond, says he, "I thought you weren't comin' back, Brer Bear, an' I took an' broke it off so I can take it to my old woman for to make a tooth-brush out of it; she'll like it fine!"

When Brer Rabbit come out of the hollow for to go home, he know'd in reason that Brer Bear was somewheres close about watching for him. He crept out, he did, and look all 'round, and then he made a dash for the open, but old Brer Bear was right at hand, and when Brer Rabbit made his dash, Brer Bear made one too, and he was so servigorous that Brer Rabbit had to run under a hanging rock. He run under there, he did, and Brer Bear reached for him, and he come so close to getting him that he was  scared mighty nigh cold.

He holler out, he did. "Look out there, Brer Bear! I feel this rock a-fallin'! It'll get me, but it'll get you, too, an' then what good is yo' temper gonna do you? Don't you feel it sinkin' down ? Go get somethin' for to prop it up with! I don't mind getting catched myself, but I don't want to sit here and see you mashed as flat as a battercake!"


And so Brer Bear, he run off for to get a pole for to prop up the rock with, and when he come back, Brer Rabbit was done gone, and it was many a long day before he seed him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment